Monday, September 15, 2008

Are we not Comanded to Love one Another?

I heard a story today about a few people that I know that made me wonder about the love that Christians are suppose to show to one another. My first reactions was to be cruel and ridicule back, but that is not how I should respond. I too was hurt by the actions of another in this story that I heard, but I need to move beyond that and I truly struggle with becoming bitter and angry. The tongue is a true and mighty sword that can hurt deeper and longer then any surface wound.

I was also watching a movie just the other day (Mean Girls, I know it is totally cheesy) and the story that I had heard was about women talking bad about other women, so this made me wonder....... Why do women have such a cycle of bitterness and anger towards each other? I'm sure that men are not immune to this sort of behavior but it seems to be more prominent with women of all ages. I even saw a documentary recently on TV that was about young girls being violent towards other young girls. This seems to be a small theme in the things that I see and hear in my life right now. Why are we this way? Can I be different? How could a teach a daughter of mine to be different, if I had one? Is this a problem from one generation to the next or is it a cultural thing? Or could it be the alternate battle of nature vs. nurture?

Well, instead of becoming bitter and angry this one time I thought I would put my thoughts out there for people to hear and think about. Also to calm my heart so I would reflect on my mind was taking me places that even I didn't want to go.

2 comments:

Perry said...

Interesting thoughts...more of us should be aware of what we say. And as parents, we need to teach/model this to our kids. Our prayers are with you as you go through changes in your life.

Oma said...

Thanks for the reminders.
When did our kids get so wise ?